Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

Not, I think, that anyone is paying any attention (which is not why I keep this online journal-of-sorts), but this Lent I am shifting from reflection on the Mass readings to considering the Beatitudes. A few weeks ago (shortly after my last post), I spent a few days on retreat, and did a lot of reading of Jean Vanier. Had I not already decided to spend the next 40 days with the Beatitudes, I might well have been convinced to do so by Vanier's writings.

Today I read through the Beatitudes, not knowing what to expect. What struck me as I did so was 'blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied'. Not the righteous, but those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, are blessed. And Lent, at least it seems to me, is a time when all our self-denial should intensify our hunger and thirst for God, and God's righteousness.

Let it begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment