Tuesday, January 31, 2012

St John Bosco

It's worth checking out the universalis website to read a little bit about St John Bosco. He cared for hundreds of boys and young men, and founded an order that would carry on his work--the Salesians, named for St Francis de Sales. Whatever might be going on with me in the 21st century, I find the lives of the faithful inspiring. In the rough patches, I may be frustrated with God, but I never tire of the lives of the saints. So their service to the body of Christ continues long after they have gone from among us.

 

.     .     .

 

Give joy to the soul of your servant, 

   for I have lifted up my soul to you, Lord.
For you are sweet and mild, Lord, 

   and plentiful in mercy to all who call upon you.

 

                                         Psalm 85 (LXX)

 

.     .      .

 

I've been reconsidering my attitude toward David. After the encounter with Nathan, David experiences all the terrible things the prophet predicted. He doesn't get off so easily. And yet we remember him as the Beloved of God, the one from whose line the Messiah would come. 

 

Oddly, that makes me think that there's hope for me, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment