Wednesday, September 19, 2012

St Januarius


For the word of the Lord is faithful
and all his works to be trusted.
The Lord loves justice and right
and fills the earth with his love
                                Psalm 33[32]: 12

.                   .                        .    


Love. The Lord 'fills the earth with his love.' I have spent a lot of time lately wondering about God. When my mother died last summer, the boundary between heaven and earth (however we might imagine it) moved like the San Andreas fault. Everything shook for a while, and some things fell down. A few things broke, I think, and I still experience aftershocks from time to time. When the immediate shaking died down, I read some physics (and I don't really do science, but my mother did). After I put a few things back in place (or found new places for them), I turned back to the Scriptures. And I wondered a lot about God.

The answers I had for my children did not satisfy me. 'Nana is in heaven,' I heard myself say. But what did it really mean? Who (or what) was God, anyway? I was walking along the river one day, and the words of this Psalm (from the Mass readings for today) came alive for me. The Lord 'fills the earth with his love.' God is the One who gives us love, who loves us and who is the love we share. Without God, we would not have love. However uncertain I may be, however distant I may feel, I can know with certainty that God is near: God 'fills the earth [and that includes me, and you, and my husband and my children] with his love.'

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment