Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday in ordinary time (week 27)

Great are the works of the Lord;
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
                                      Psalm 111 [110]: 2

.          .         .

Delight.

I reached for my NASB this morning, finding the translation on the Universalis website uninspiring. Honestly, I think my old NASB inspires partly because the feel of it in my hand is so familiar and associated with many years of psalm-reading. And, I suppose, with a certain sort of delight: a delight in drinking in these words, in praying with the prayer book of Israel and the church, in finding my sorrows drowned in the vast and eternal love of God. "Delight yourself in the Lord," says the psalmist (Ps 37 [36]), "and he will give you the desires of your heart." Learning to take delight in the Lord is a long, slow process, and one I know I have only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment