Sunday, February 1, 2015

Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

"he preached as one with authority..."

.        .        .

The homily this morning was short (perfectly so, really--no time for the congregation to lose the thread) that I nearly missed it as I quieted the children. Fortunately, I managed to look up and listen just enough to catch the drift of it. Msgr Michael Heinz never said 'Jesus changes everything,' exactly, but that's a crucial piece of what I came away with this morning. The thing about Jesus's astonishing authority is that he not only says things, but what he says, happens. And so we can trust his word.

Good. Really good. Not just good to hear, but thought-provoking now, as I remember the bits of it I caught while attending to the kids. I think, yes, of course.  Jesus tells the storm to be still, and it obeys him. And Jesus is the Word, which goes forth (in Isaiah 55) and does not return empty, but accomplishes the purpose for which God sent Him. In the chances and changes of this life--and there are many for us, just now--one thing is sure: Jesus.

Makes it easier to mean "thy will be done," that's for certain. Thanks, Msgr Heinz.

No comments:

Post a Comment